20 June 2007

The life cycle of summer

Change is always hard. Even though we always have summer vacation, and at times during the school year can't wait for it to come, there is a natural let down when the school year ends. I have found this particularly true at Mount - at least for me. Having friends that live all over RI and Mass, makes it even more challenging. It isn't like when I went to Lincoln and during the summer, I would walk to the next street and there were my friends from school.

We get into a routine of getting up early going to school and living by a bell. We get used to the same teachers, students, lunch menus, and that begins to shape our lives. We become set, we begin to feel safe. Like things are working ok. But, then summer - or graduation - come along and that all changes.

No more uniforms, no books, no more getting up at the crack of dawn to get to jazz band on time. There is a great fear in that. What am I going to do now? It is the fear of the unknown. I know I'm pretty nervous and a little scared to go off on my new student orientation camping trip tomorrow. But, besides fear there is a let down. My schedule is no longer jam packed. I have time to sit out by the pool and read. I have time to go out to lunch with friends. I have time to go to work, and not be stressed out about getting my school work done. I have down time, time to relax. The high energy school year is over.

Summer, as I have come to know it, is a time of great saddness, it is an ending. But, it is also a beginning. Time for new experiences and adventures both here and abroad. It is a time to relax and restore ourselves, so when the fall comes we can once again jump into school life.

No comments:

Post a Comment