08 July 2009

The day before day 1


Yesterday was an absolutely crazy day. I woke excited and ready for the day. I remembered how busy General Convention was last time around, but I had no idea what a deputy was in for.

My day started yesterday morning at about 6:45. I woke up, got ready, had breakfast, and made my way over to the convention center for New Deputy Orientation. I was excited to be greeted by my fellow New Deputies from Rhode Island with the news that our orientation had been canceled. We were all extremely elated. Orientation was supposed to take place form 8 - 12. So instead I enjoyed a little sun standing outside the convention center and then went to committee hearings. Unlike the rest of my deputation, I'm floating around and not focusing on one particular committee. As a result of my work with TransEpiscopal and Integrity I'm following several of the LGBT issues. I spent a little bit of time in committee 9 (National and International Concerns) and then the majority of the 8 - 12 slot at committee 8 (World Missions). I'll post more on committees later. I grabbed a quick bit to eat in the exhibit hall and then made my way to the Program, Budget, and Finance budget priorities hearing. I got there about five minutes late and was standing in the doorway. I didn't end up staying long, because I couldn't really hear anything. I walked about the exhibit hall for about fifteen minutes and then at 2pm I made my way over to the worship space where the PB/PHOD (Presiding Bishop and the President of the House of Deputies) were addressing us. Then we had an introduction to the public narrative project (definitely more on this later). After that it was dinner at IHop, and interview for IntegriTV, some time in the deputation hospitality room, then back to my room with some RI folks to watch Disney's fireworks from my balcony. At 10pm I made my way over to the Courtyard Marriott for the Integrity daily briefing and our first meeting of the TransEpiscopal General Convention team. I made it back to my room just after midnight. So I guess you can say that it was a busy day. The craziest part about it . . . the convention had even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment