10 July 2009

Day 2: July 9

Yesterday was crazy. It started bright an early with a 7am hearing for committee 9 - National and International Concern. The TransEpiscopal folks were there to discuss two resolutions - D012 (the resolution I helped write on Transgender Civil Rights) and a resolution on a fully inclusive ENDA (Employment Non-discrimination Act). I didn't write out what I said, but it must have been ok since several people including Louie Crew and Bishop Tom Shaw came up to me after to tell me what a good job I did. We are very, very hopeful for resolution D012. I'm pretty sure it is going to get out of committee and we'll hear it on the floor of the house.

Then it was back to the room for breakfast and then off to the Public Narrative Project. Despite being very unhappy about it, I went. I told my story of self. The story I choose was about testifying at Committee 8 and my fears and reservations around that. The group thought I did such a great job that they nominated me to be the one recommended from our group to do something - honestly it was to early to remember.

After that it was off to worship. I recommend reading Scott Gunn's piece over at Seven Whole Days to read more on that. I think he is spot on.

After worship was lunch, which I did brown bag style at a Chicago Consultation speakers presentation which was great. Hopefully more on that later.

Then listened to a good portion of the Marriage Equality hearing while working on one final trans resolution to submit by 5pm that afternoon.

Ran around to get my resolution in and then off to the legislative session for the day. I can't say more than that, because I will get to frustrated with those voting doohickeys.

Dinner was great. Then the B033 hearings and bed. Another long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment