09 October 2007

Diocesan Convention

So I just went to my mailbox and was shocked to see my Diocesan Convention materials there waiting for me. After my first look through of the material this is what I have come up with.

(1) For the first time in the three or four diocesan conventions I've been to there will actually be real elections.

~ The Standing Committee has 4 candidates in the lay order to fill 1 position.
~ Diocesan Council has 3 candidates in the clergy order to fill 2 positions
~ (I guess you could say) The Commission of Congregational Development has a race in both orders as they each have 2 candidates for 1 position.

But here is the big one!

DEPUTIES TO GENERAL CONVENTION

Deputies: 4 Clerics and 4 Lay persons
Alternates: 4 Clerics and 4 Lay persons

* The 4 Deputies in each order and the 1st Alternates in each order get to attend General Convention

In the Clergy order there are a total of 8 candidates. We vote for 4.
In the Lay order there are a total of 6 candidates. We vote for 4.

In all of the offices I'm pretty sure I know who I am going to vote for except for the Clergy order of Deputies to General Convention. There are 8 very qualified candidates and I would feel comfortable with any of them. This will not be an easy vote. I know two I WILL be voting for, but I get to vote for two more and I have no idea who that will be.

(2) As for the resolutions, we have a grand total of 2 resolutions. Hopefully some people will come up with resolutions from the floor, or I have a feeling we will make record time at this convention in about 3 weeks.

Let us all pray for those people involved on all levels of this convention.
Let us pray for guidance on our resolutions and offices for elections.
Let us pray that the decisions made and those who we elect will be done with faithful hearts and with respect for those who may not be happy with the outcome.
Most of all let us pray that we as a diocese can work together to build up our community, foster growth, and spread the light and love of Christ throughout our diocese and the larger community.




P.S. for those of you who read this blog and don't already know, I am one of the 6 lay persons running to be a deputy to General Convention.

Dee for Deputy (GC 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment