28 October 2007

Convention Reflection

So Diocesan Convention is over, and I'm back at school. All and all I will say it was an excellent weekend back in good old Rhode Island. So here is a run down of my weekend and then more specifics on convention!

So went to Mount on Friday afternoon and had a nice heart to heart with my favorite teacher and friend Mrs. Carol Smith. Went and got a hair-cut then headed to the Biltmore for Convention - of course I stopped at the Starbucks first! I go up to the Grand Ballroom on the 17th floor, and it was a constant telling of "Not so good. Long story short UNe not a good fit and next semester I'll be back in Rhode Island." The dinner was good. I got to sit with both of my parishes - Christ Church and St. Paul's. Paul Pickens (Christ Church member) got the Bishop Higgins Award. Convention ended relatively early, and then I hung out in Providence with some friends.

Saturday got to the Biltmore a little before eight, and of course got my Starbucks first. Get up to convention, chatted with people had Eucharist convention business. Voted for dupties the first time and three people were elected I was not one of them it took most of the day, until the fourth ballot for myself to be elected. (The four clergy deputies are Jennifer Pedrick, Scott Gunn, Bill Locke, and Craig Burlington. The four lay are Caryl Frink, Maryanne Kolakowski, Becky Gettel, and myself). Then convention business - 18 boring reports + 2 resolutions later we were out of there by like 2:30 quarter of 3. Then I did some stuff, had dinner with Dan Harvey, and hung out with my friend Nick.

Sunday went to Christ Church at 8, helped with the education session (on Diocesan Convention) then went to St. Paul's 10:30 service. Then came back to school.

All and all great weekend.

I will say this. I am incredibly honored and humbled that I was elected to be a Deputy to General Convention. The fact that I was elected as an 18 year-old with two seasoned and loyal deputies on the ballot is amazing. It really hasn't hit me yet, that I am a Deputy from the Diocese of RI.

For a little humor:

Dee you've just been elected what are you going to do now?

I'm going to Disneyland!

Look out Disney here comes the Episcopal Church
General Convention 2009 - Anaheim, California!

No comments:

Post a Comment