29 November 2008

What's Happened to Christmas?

So over the Thanksgiving holiday, a couple of my relatives laughed at how I celebrate Christmas. I told them that I wait until sun down on the 24th of December to start my celebrations and conclude them on the 6th of January. I celebrate Advent: the time to prepare ourselves to welcome the new born Christ child. I know this isn't the normal thing to do, it is against everything that our culture tells us is the way to celebrate Christmas. But, last time I checked no one (and I'm referring particularly to the USA) died from celebrating Advent. On "Black Friday" two people were shot and killed in a Toys R Us in Florida. Around the corner from where I was in Long Island, a 34-year old Walmart greeter was trampled to death. It is a horrible reminder of what the majority of this society values. I challenge you this season to remember why we celebrate. I'm not saying gifts aren't good and that I won't be participating in gift giving, but how much are you willing to sacrifice for the latest and greatest toy?

Advent First!

No comments:

Post a Comment