21 March 2008

Good Friday



I've always had this particular idea about Good Friday. I've always thought that it is supposed to be this really sad day - I mean Christ is dead. I've always thought that when we read the passion Gospel and got to the point where the congregation says "Crucify him!" that I should get all chocked up. Heck I've always worn all (or mostly all) black to the Good Friday Liturgy. But, for the first time tonight I was told that we don't need to be sad. Tonight at Church I heard a sermon that stated something that should be so obvious. Now, I'll be honest a lot happened during the service and I don't remember much of the sermon. I think, however, that I heard what I needed to hear. Tonight we - the congregation - were asked if we were basically acting. If we were, last night, acting confused at what our teacher and friend was talking about. If we were, tonight, scared at what will happen next. Doing it as if pretending that we were experiencing it all for the first time. But, we shouldn't be doing that. We know what is going to happen. All anyone had to do tonight was flip a couple of pages in the Triduum bulletin and they would see the The Great Vigil of East our principle resurrection eucharist.

I can't remember where the sermon went from their unfortunately. But, I think we shouldn't be sad. There is something more, this isn't the end. We know that tomorrow night we will celebrate The Great Vigil of Easter we will say the "A-word" I will no longer have to observe my lenten fast and can have coffee again. So what does this mean for us? How should we remember Good Friday? Maybe I should of taken notes during the sermon so I would have something more to write. We shouldn't be sad. Yes, we should remember Christ's death. It is a very important part of the story. But, we must remember that there is more and at this time tomorrow I we be celebrating the resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

So no more am I going to be all somber and depressed on Good Friday. I won't do some double speak, Orwellian trick to make it as if I have never experience the Triduum before. But, instead I will remember Christ's death and prepare to celebrate his resurrection.

I hope you all have had a wonderful Holy Week and Triduum thus far. Go to church tomorrow night and celebrate The Great Vigil of Easter. I feel confident in saying that no matter where you go it will be a wonderful service. They don't call it "great" for nothing.

p.s. If you are looking for a place to worship:
St. Paul's Pawtucket
Holy Saturday Liturgy of the Day - 9am
The Great Vigil of Easter - 7:30pm
Easter Sunday - 10:30am

Normal Sunday worship resumes on March 30th with services at 8am and 10:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment