11 March 2008

Fish Eyes

I don't think I've written anything on here about this play I directed called Fish Eyes. Fish Eyes is a play about the story of Jesus' ministry as told through the eyes of Peter and Andrew. This past weekend was the performance, and I couldn't have been prouder of my two man cast. But, the play isn't about Doug, Dennis, and I. The play is about a message: a wonderful message.

Sometimes when we read the Gospels we just read them, we don't enter into relationship with them. We hear the same stories again and again and again, and after a while our imaginations stop working. This played allowed me to see the Gospels in a whole new way. Now when I hear the Gospels during church I close my eyes and I no longer hear the reader, but instead I see a scene from the play.

We are about to enter into the holiest time of the church year - Holy Week. A time where we will travel with Jesus into Jerusalem right up until his death and resurrection. I encourage you all to try to get to as many services as you can: to truly live out this time. I'm sure your church - or a church near you - is doing more services than you can count. Some will do as little as 5 others 11, 14, or even 16! As you sit in church or read scripture on your own, allow yourself to wonder what it would be like to be a part of one of - if not the - greatest events in history and not even know it. Allow yourself to feel the joy of entering into Jerusalem, the anger when he is arrested, to deny knowing him (cause we've all been there).

I don't know about the other people who been involved in the play, but personally I'm looking forward to Holy Week. To living out the scenes that we acted out in the play. To seeing myself walking into Jerusalem and standing with the crowd after His arrest. Thinking about the Gospels in new ways allows us to come to greater understanding of these stories and thus a greater understanding of Christ's ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment