12 December 2007

A gentle knock

Being the church geek that I am, I go to church all the time. Through years of worship in various places, I've heard more sermons then I can remember. But, there are some that just stick with me.

Every year on the first Sunday of Advent, Mount St. Charles Academy holds a service of Advent Lessons and Carols (a fine Anglican tradition that the former Chaplin borrowed from him Anglican brothers during his time in England). Every service begins with a message from the principal. In affect it is a mini Sermon. The first service of Lessons and Carols I was apart of was 2003, my freshman year. Mr. Richer had just become the first lay person to be principal of Mount. His opening was just one of those sermons I will never forget. Below I have paraphrased Mr. Richer's words.

Advent is a time a preparation. A time to prepare our hearts for the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. Every Advent seasons as I prepare myself, I am reminded of a painting. It is of Jesus standing outside someones door holding a light. He is knocking at the door. At a quick glance there doesn't seem to be anything special about this painting. But, if you look closely you will notice that there is no handle on the door. In order of the owner of the house to let Christ in he (the owner) must make the intentional effort and open the door. Christ, can't do it for him. That is what we are called to do this Advent season. We are called to listen for the gentle knocking at our hearts. When it comes we must open our hearts to his light and make room for the coming of the King.

This Advent season I hope that we can all take time to be still and know that God is there. That we can in the silence of our hearts listen for the gentle knocking, and when it comes invite Christ is.

No comments:

Post a Comment