12 December 2007

An Advent Reflection

I have always found a special connection with Advent. I'm not really sure just want it is, but I've always been able to identify with this season of joyful preparation. This year I decided to do something a little different then I've done in years past. I'm actually observing Advent. Intellectually I've always known that Advent is a time to prepare ones heart for the birth of Christ, but I've never been able to put that into practice.

I think it is so easy for me to really honor Advent this year, as my life has of late turned into its own season of Advent. For about two months now I've known that UNE was not the school for me. After a couple of weeks I had made the decision to leave. Once I made that choice, everything became a preparation for transferring. Moving stuff home, applying to other schools, filling out paper work, etc. This transition is a joyful one - for me at least. As each task is completed I come a little bit closer to leaving.

Yet, when I first became the semester I did not know I was "lost". It took time before I could realize I was in a place I wasn't supposed to be in. Yesterday morning I had the opportunity to attend a Eucharistic service. The Gospel reading, was one that I could easily identify with.

Matthew 18:12-14

12What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? 13And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. 14So it is not the will of your* Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.


I'm sure at first that sheep did not know he was lost. But, eventually the sheep was found and brought home. Here at UNE I have been "found" and very soon will be brought home.

Advent is a time of preparing ourselves of the coming of Christ. A time to look inward. As we reflect on our spiritual journeys we may find that we have been lost, and didn't even know it. But, as our season continues, as we open our hearts to the birth of Christ we find that we are finally brought home.

No comments:

Post a Comment