19 February 2008

Time to say goodbye

This past Sunday - Feb 17, 2008 - was the Second Sunday in Lent. But, for me it was much more than that. It was one final Sunday at Christ Church in Lincoln. When I told Scott, the priest-in-charge, of Christ Church that I would be leaving he offered to have a liturgical goodbye.

The service was called "The Sending Forth of Members of our Community" and it went a little something like this.

Presider The Lord shall watch over your going out and your coming in:
People From this time forth forevermore.
The Presider offers thanks to the departing members for their ministry in this community.


Let us pray,

O God, whose glory fills the whole creation, and whose presence we find wherever we go: Preserve these people; surround them with your loving care; protect them from every danger; and bring them joy in their new home; through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Then all the People, with the Presider, say together


May the road rise up to meet you,
and the wind be always at your back;
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rains fall soft upon your fields,
until we meet again;
may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Amen.


The service continues with the Peace


It was a truly moving and special moment for me. As a special bonus, I was asked to serve as a Eucharistic minister during the service - to administer the chalice during communion. It was an added blessing to be able to share in communion with the Chris Church family, in that special way, one last time.

It was the perfect ending to one of the greatest chapters of my life and ministry. I am forever grateful to the people of Christ Church for their love and support over the years. I now move on to a new chapter, to the next stage God is calling me to. I feel all the more ready knowing I have the prayers and support of this my first Church family.

No comments:

Post a Comment